The Environment Directorate provides Technical Support in the initiation and implementation of Policies, Programmes and Projects and the necessary legislative reforms to ensure effective environmental governance and natural resource management to enhance national development. This it does by liaising with the relevant agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Town and Country Planning Department (TCPD).
- The Directorate is responsible for providing technical support in the initiation and implementation of policies, programmes and projects and the necessary reforms to ensure environmental governance and management to promote sustainable development
- Provide leadership and guidance for environment with the broad sector of economy through sound policy formulation and implementation
- Ensure the establishment of policy regulatory framework and setting of standards to govern activities of environmental management and sustainable development
- Set out parameters required for programmes on environment and human settlement in consultation with NDPC
- Analyse and coordinate all planned programmes in the environment sector of the economy for the purposes of achieving a single integrated management system